Wow, this unit was long! I'm guessing most people wouldn't want to spend as much time on oceans as we did, but there was tons of information, the kids LOVED it, and a couple life events happened that spread out the time longer than expected. My grandma passed away in January and soon after that, I ended up on bed rest due to my pelvic joints being out of place and unstable - most likely was a result of childbirth from baby girl (very painful, no sitting, very little walking for 6 weeks). Anyway, real life happens. I had a very precise plan, but we ended up getting through it all in the order that worked.
We started with an overall introduction of the ocean. We read

The kids LOVED this book. We read it over and over at bedtime too.
Our coffee filter activity soon turned into a complete building of an ocean. My home school style seems to be plan and organize and then provide for LOTS of flexibility. So far it seems to work for our family.
And a piranha. I love spontaneous creativity like that.
Preston was just thrilled to be given free reign of markers and water. We used a blow drier to speed up the process and had a kind of assembly line going. The kids had a blast so we made LOTS of these fish.
The rest of the ocean came to pass by accident. I printed off some ocean animals for Preston to color too keep him busy while Dylan and I read some books that were a little less than preschool friendly. Dylan thought it sounded fun to so before you knew it, we created an entire ocean mobile in the family room. The kids pretended to scuba dive on the carpet under the ocean. We had fun with it.
The following day we read the rainbow fish and then made our own rainbow fish from some of the scraps left over from our coffee filter fish. I got the idea here. We also checked out The Rainbow Fish on DVD and watched it that afternoon.







No comments:
Post a Comment