We spent most of our time on trains and then decided to expand the unit into a modes of transportation unit. We added books about all sorts of trucks - fire engines, dump trucks, garbage trucks, etc - and also found books on airplanes and helicopters. I had way more field trip ideas by this point than I had time and other material so there are lots of things that we couldn't do. But here are a few of the highlights from the second half of the unit.
- Watched a movie about airplanes and helicopters
- Made our own paper airplanes - this day was for sure a favorite
- Read lots of books about cars, trucks, planes and helicopters to add to the train books we were still working on
- Visited Hill Air Force Base Museum
Things I Would Like To Do In the Future
- Tour of the fire station (and police station)
- Lesson on the basics of a motor from a mechanic
- Tour a semi-truck and learn about trucking (I happen to have two brothers-in-law who can help with this one, but I thought of it too late and couldn't get it scheduled in time. One thing I'm learning from planning my own units is to either plan WAY in advance or be more flexible with the field trips. There's a learning curve for sure).
Books We Read
This book was AWESOME! We made every airplane in the book and tested the flight patterns of the different airplanes. 








No comments:
Post a Comment